Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Why Tenants Shouldn't Do Repairs

Ive heard from a lot of landlords that they pay their tenants to do repairs instead of hiring a professional.  Unless the tenant is assuming the cost and liability of the repair, I do not allow the tenant to do a repair.  Instead, I hire the repair out with my vendor.  While the typical liability comes into mind, something I didn't consider at the time but now plays into my reasons.


Allowing tenants to help, puts you as the landlord in a difficult position.  I have found that while tenants have the best of intentions, human nature comes into play way too often. Six months ago one of my tenants told me there was no need to hire a handyman to paint, they could do it themselves. But during move out inspection there was a huge white spot on a brown wall from where they didn't finish the work.


As a landlord, there is nothing you can do in this situation. You can't easily remove payment from the security deposit nor am I prepared to paint the wall.  At the time it seemed like an easy thought. Allow the tenant to repair the home and save money.



You can read similar articles online at www.echomeinspection.com/our-blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment